When it comes to scholarships, there are a lot of things to think about. You want to make sure that you are putting your best foot forward and that you are taking all of the necessary steps in order to increase your chances of being awarded a scholarship. In this blog post, we will outline the top 10 factors suggested by Dr John Manzella to consider when applying for scholarships!
Top 10 Factors To Consider When Applying For Scholarships
1. Eligibility – Before you start your scholarship search, make sure that you are eligible for the scholarships to which you are applying. Different scholarships may have different requirements such as grade point average, financial need, extracurricular activities, etc.
2. Deadline – Make sure to pay close attention to the deadlines of each scholarship you want to apply for. Some deadlines might be more strict than others and it’s important to make note of them in order not to miss any meaningful opportunities!
3. Requirements – This goes hand-in-hand with eligibility but some scholarships require additional documents or a certain essay topic so make sure that you read over all the requirements thoroughly so that you can complete your application correctly.
4. Competition – When applying for scholarships, keep in mind that there may be a lot of competition and that you might not be the only one who meets the eligibility requirements. Make sure to research the scholarship you are applying for and look into any previous winners so you can better prepare yourself for the selection process.
5. Awards – Before deciding on which scholarships to apply for, take some time to consider what type of award each offers (monetary or non-monetary) and how much money each provides so that you can make an informed decision when choosing your scholarship options.
6. Personal Statement – This is usually a required part of your application so make sure to put enough time and effort into crafting a great personal statement that reflects who you are and why you’re an ideal candidate for the scholarship.
7. Recommendations – If a scholarship requires any letters of recommendation, make sure to give your chosen references enough time to write their letter. Additionally, be sure to thank them once they submit your application!
8. Interviews – Many scholarships require an interview as part of their selection process so it’s important to prepare yourself in advance by researching the organization and coming up with some thoughtful questions.
9. Networking – Don’t limit yourself when searching for scholarships; make use of your network and reach out to family members, friends, community organizations, etc., in order to uncover any potential opportunities.
10. Follow-up – Once you submit your application, make sure to follow up with the organization if you don’t hear back right away and inquire about the status of your application. This will demonstrate that you are truly interested in the scholarship!
Applying for scholarships can be a daunting task, but if you take the time to consider these top 10 factors when applying, it will help increase your chances of success! Keep in mind eligibility, deadlines, requirements, awards, and more so that you can make sure your application is as competitive as possible. Good luck and happy scholarship hunting!